Tag Archives: The Foresters Arms

The Story of Heyford: Heyford Feast – The visiting fair

Heyford Feast The fair has been coming for Heyford Feast in October for as long as anyone can remember. Heyford Feast is the anniversary of the dedication of our Parish Church and takes place on the first Sunday after the … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford, Village Green | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: Lost Street Names

Census Returns There has been a census return once every ten years from 1841 onwards. The only exception was in 1941 because of war time. The details of these census’ are made available to the public when they are 100 … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: Heyford’s First Motor Vehicles

In the 1920’s cars were very few and far between. Groups of people used to walk up from the village┬áto the A5 , then known as The Turnpike, to watch for cars. Doris Lovell nee Denn remembers sitting on the … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: Cricket on the Village Green

Like most villages in England Nether Heyford sported the idyllic sight of twenty two people dressed in immaculate whites playing the age-old sport of Cricket on the Village Green. A team game remarkably like cricket was being played in England … Continue reading

Posted in Heyford Cricket Club, The Story of Heyford, Village Green | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: The Ancient Order of Foresters

The Ancient Order of Foresters was a co-operative society. This photograph shows their gala day in 1900-1901. Could there have been any link between this and the naming of The Foresters Arms? Extract from The Story of Heyford – Volume … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: The Tops

The photograph below was taken in the 1930’s. On the left is the Foresters Arms. There were then no houses between here and the Denny’s house on the corner of Middle Street. In this photograph the view is clear right … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Story of Heyford: The Jubilee Hall

The Jubilee Hall used to stand just behind the memorial green, on the opposite side of the road to where the Butchers and Patisserie are today. It was a stone barn with a thatched roof and was used as a … Continue reading

Posted in The Story of Heyford | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment