The Heyfords are made up of Nether Heyford and Upper Heyford. For those new to the villages we have a welcome pack available.
Nether Heyford is an English village 6 miles (9.7km) west of Northampton off the A45 road, in the shire county of Northamptonshire, known as “Northants”. It is 1 mile (1.6 km) by road to the M1. London to Yorkshire motorway junction 16, 72 miles (116 km) north of London and 38 miles (61 km) southeast of Birmingham. The village of Upper Heyford is about 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the north of the village close to the A45 road and is also part of Nether Heyford Parish.
It has one of the largest village greens in the country, two pubs; The Foresters Arms and The Olde Sun, two churches; one Baptist, a purpose-built youth club, park, village hall, hairdressers, butchers and a local shop. The extensive playing fields have a cricket club; Heyford CC, a football club; Heyford Athletic, tennis courts and a bowls club. The Grand Union Canal also passes through the village.
The village has its own Parish Council consisting of 11 members elected every four years.
The local church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul and parts are 13th century. There is a monument to Sir Walter Mauntell (died 1467) and Sir Richard Morgan (died 1556).
The Bliss Charity Primary School has about 148 pupils. It was endowed with income from lands in the will of William Bliss, a wine merchant living in Southwark, who died in 1674. William had been born and brought up in Nether Heyford, later moving to London. In his will, William left £400 to the village, £100 for a schoolhouse and £300 to buy land, the rent from which would pay for the schoolmaster and upkeep of the school.
The former rectory is Gothic and ca.1870. The Manor House is early 18th century.
The parish is near the site of two Roman villas, firstly at Whitehall Farm west of the village near the A5 road which closely follows the route of the Roman Road known as Watling Street which ran from London to Holyhead in North Wales. The nearest Roman towns were Lactodorum, modern name Towcester, about 8 miles (13 km) south, and Bannaventa at Whilton Lodge, near Norton about 3 miles (4.8 km) north. Excavations on the site in 2009 found eight 1,400-year-old skeletons in a burial ground could be German mercenaries hired by wealthy land owners to protect their property. Investigations are on-going.
A second site east of the village in Horestone meadow was first discovered in 1699. It had part of a fine floor mosaic, plaster wall fragments and various pottery. In 1821 the building was estimated to be around 100 feet long.
The area of west Northamptonshire is rich in Romano-British archaeology with another villa site and museum at Piddington. The villa site is on a hillside with panoramic view eastwards over the upper valley of the River Nene before it enters the town of Northampton. The whereabouts of the artefacts is not known.
WEST COAST MAIN LINE
The West Coast Main Line running high speed Pendolino trains from London Euston to Manchester and Glasgow south west of the village. Stowe Hill tunnel on the line between the village and Weedon runs under the A5 road to the west.
1915 AND 1951 ACCIDENTS
The village was near the site of two train derailments in which a total of 25 people died.
(text shamelessly lifted from wikipedia)
Join us on Facebook for daily updates: Facebook.com/HeyfordPrattler
The Prattler is produced and delivered by volunteers.
Nether Heyford History: The Story of Heyford
© 2019. The Prattler. Local newspaper for Nether Heyford and Upper Heyford , Northamptonshire, England, UK. Printed and delivered free every month to every household (750+) since 1977.