The Manor House 1947-1956
Volume 2 in our series of booklets included the story of the Manor House, but there were some gaps in the post war period.
The Story of Heyford: Heyford Manor and the Manor House V2C5
Since the publication of the original story in Volume 2, some more information has come to light. The words below, written by Julie Rands-Allen, ﬁll in those missing years.
After the billeting of soldiers in the Manor House and other uses for the war effort, it was difficult to know who occupied it in the forties and fifties. But by a chance encounter between Bill Needham and one of the occupants at that time, we find that it was owned by Mr and Mrs Colonel Reid from 1947 to approximately 1956.
When they were there, there were only two servants and an ‘odd man’ (as Mrs Reid describes him). This ‘odd man’ had a bed sitting room by the back door (which is now in the front of the house) being a basement, which in the old days, was the servants’ hall. He was responsible for numerous chores, one of which was bringing in the wood which fuelled the aga. At that time the side door (now the East Wing’s front door) opened out on to a magnificent rose garden and the garden wall ran right along to the Denny’s. The staircase was, according to Mrs Reid, listed and is still I believe the original in situ.
Mrs Reid and her husband brought up three children in the delightful surroundings of the Manor. But developers were harassing the Reids even then to sell part of their land. However they flatly refused to part with any, with the exception of land to Mr Denny to build the houses along the Green between the Foresters and the school. As Mrs Reid said, they had road frontage and would not be too intrusive. She is understandably horrified at what has happened since.
The lawns of the manor went down to the Nene and it was here that Colonel Reid used to practice his ‘shout’, for in 1953 he commanded the Trooping of the Colour. Old photographs from Mrs Reid’s family album show the Colonel in full regalia commanding the regiment for this spectacular event and others show Colonel Reid in his official capacity at the State Funeral of George VI.
In these heady days – almost the last of the Manor being used as it was originally intended – the family holidayed in St Moritz and enjoyed an era that has hitherto disappeared. But unlike previous occupants, Mrs Reid was an excellent cook taking an active part in the running of the household.
She now lives at The Glebe House in Marston St Lawrence – a magnificent old house which has also stood the test of time and enjoys the companionship of just one ‘absolute gem’ who helps her with the work involved in the up-keep of such a place.
Extract from “The Story of Heyford” – Local book series published in the late 1990’s
Volume 4 of 4 | Chapter 6 of 8 | Pages 27
Heyford’s Historical Heritage | How the books were created